What does it take to transform an existing traditional village or rural area into an ecovillage?
An Ecovillage is a human-scale, full-featured settlement, with multiple centers of initiative, in which human activities are harmlessly integrated into the natural world in a way that is supportive of healthy human development, and can be successfully continued into the indefinite future. (Robert Gilman)
Better World Cameroon helps the local stakeholders in the realization of sustainable development work for Bafut. Many of our activities can be seen as connected to this ambitious and complex goal of creating Bafut Ecovillage by 2020.
Community sensitization and information exchange
Change and desire for transition must come from within: individuals and communities are looking for solutions and a way forward in the face of Climate Change. Any solution will need to be grounded in local culture, wisdom and agreement. We are using multiple venues for exchange of information:
- Broadcasting (In collaboration with the climate change unit at Bafut council)
- Social networking through Facebook and other channels, this website and our YouTube channel
- Market stand (2016) and Information booths at events
- Permaculture roadshow (in planning)
- Village Assemblies (in Preparation)
- Nature Clubs in Schools are operating under Better World Student Nature Club.
- Ecovillage Design Education following Gaia Education guidelines
- Food security programs: Addressing Farmers issues and developing local solutions.
- Annual international summer work camp for students: hands-on leadership training and Permaculture introduction
- Capacity building for volunteers
- Stove building workshops delivering smoke free kitchens to households throughout the region
Demonstration site Ndanifor Permaculture Ecovillage
This is where we invite folks to come and experience hands-on training courses, see permaculture applications and conduct experiments for solutions. We work closely with our immediate surrounding community of Bawum and Alegnwi.
- Ecological building: Learning Center and Eco-lodge
- Permaculture application
- High Value Agricultural Product development
- Water retention Landscape (in planning)
Social business development
How can we do business that benefits all areas of sustainability: economic, environmental, cultural and social? This is the question we are exploring through Better Coop, taking responsibility for
- Eco-Lodge and Learning Center operations
- High Value Agriculture Products
- Stove building
Become part of the transition
We invite your input and participation! Call us 651 995 755 . Become a volunteer or enroll for a course. Stay current on the development of Bafut Ecovillage by subscribing to our Blog (top right of page) and watch our Facebook Page.